Friday, September 12, 2008
Cover Letters
The mere fact that if I don't request a cover letter and resume, I will only get a resume scares me. I mean seriously, who in their right mind wouldn't send a cover letter along with a resume! It doesn't matter if it is all in one document, two separate attachments or just an email introduction, but every time you apply for a job, always include a cover letter. It doesn't need to be a life history, just a few paragraphs stating why you want to work at XYZ, what makes you qualified and a little bit of what a great asset you would be. No one wants to read a page long cover letter, and it is hard to talk about yourself without sounding pompous, but it's even harder to get an interview with no cover letter. Personally, if I receive a resume with no cover letter, I trash it. And I'm sure there are a lot of hiring managers who follow the same routine. No cover letter, no interview.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment