Friday, September 12, 2008

Proofreading

Although this is a new blog, I feel like a broken record because proofreading is my thing. In full disclosure, I too, need to proofread and often stupid mistakes slip by my eyes, but the most important thing you can do for your resume is to proof it, proof it, proof it. And not just you, but someone else. It may be embarassing to admit you need help, but it is much more embarassing to pass out a resume (or any other job related work) with mistakes in it.

If I'm reading a resume, and it has mistakes in it, its going to take one heck of a stroke of luck for me to bring that person in for an interview. If they can't take the time to care about their own work, how can I be sure they will dedicate time to the job? I can't, and that is a risk I am not willing to take. Because if an intern puts out a poor work product, it's reflected on me. I'll take responsibility for my own stupid mistakes, but not someone elses.

Interns are supposed to learn, grow, and hopefully, teach the employer a little something too. Worrying about whether the intern ran spell check is something most of us can do with out.

No comments: