Friday, September 12, 2008

Paying Attention and Following Directions

I posted a few job openings on Craigslist the other day - since the local Universities were giving me zero candidates - and have been barraged with applicants ever since. I'm not sure how many employers look for a cover letter, resume, and writing sample, portfolio, etc. but I would guess that a fair amount do. Especially in the communications world. How can I know if someone is a good writer if I don't read any of her material? Or a strong graphic designer if I don't see his work? Cover letters and resumes are, for all intensive purposes, each very similar to one another. But, if I can read a press release or see a portfolio from an applicant, I have a much better idea of what his or her capabilities will be.

For example take one listing I posted "Graphic Design Intern Wanted: please submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio to XYZ if interested." You would think, since a designer designers things, that I would have a lot of portfolios to complement the resumes I received. Wrong! I cannot tell you how many resumes and cover letters I received with no portfolio. Not even a little graphic or logo at the end of their letter. If you cannot follow simple directions - in this case 1 sentence - why in the world would I want to call you in for an interview. You could have a dynamite portfolio, but I'll never know because you didn't follow directions and send me what I requested.

Seriously, what is wrong with people today? Is the education system that bad that students can't follow directions? Not to mention the amount of applicants who responded even though the ad specifically states that I am looking for a student. Some of these people have been out of school for 10 years! Not only are they too old to be an intern (unless I am requesting more experienced interns, which I am not) they too cannot follow directions!

No comments: