Friday, September 19, 2008

Keep in Touch

Out of any interns I've had over the past few years, the ones this summer were absolutely the best. I tried to keep them on through the fall, but alas college was calling. However, I still think of them fondly, and often, as do my colleagues.

In fact, one of them sent an email today that made me smile. He had seen some of the company's work and wondered how we were doing. That simple email does a few different things.

1. It makes me smile on a dreary Friday afternoon.

2. It keeps him in my mind as a great intern.

3. It reminds me what a great intern he was.

These three thoughts work on both our behalfs. It shows me that he cares about us even after he's left, and more importantly for him, it reassures him that we won't forget him even though he's no longer interning here. And that, is a great basis for a fabulous letter of recommendation when the time comes. Even if I will be trying to persuade him to come back as I'm writing the letter!

No comments: