Friday, September 12, 2008

It Hurts My Eyes!

I don't know how other people feel about this, but if you want me to read your resume, and I literally mean read - where my eyeballs go from left to right all the way down the page, and my brain absorbs the information - then for heaven's sake, use proper spacing!! A resume came across my desk today that was so squeezed together I couldn't understand it without highlighting things to change colors. It was like trying to look at the Declaration of Independence after it floated in the Tidal Basin for a week. You know how you feel when someone gets too close when talking? That's how this resume was; only the lines were the ones too close for comfort. Make sure you have at least a hard return between each major event in your resume. I would rather read a two page resume that is pleasant to look at, than a one page CV that makes my head hurt and my eyes bulge out of my sockets like a cartoon.

Bottom line, if it looks wonky then chances are a person who's a little older or a lot older is going to find it very unappealing to read and you should reformat poste haste!

No comments: